Monday, March 16, 2015

The Day the Music cried...

Sugar-free they may have been, but the Players were laying down funk as smooth as twelve-year-old scotch.  Local legends, international successes, they filled the stage at Gillys and played music for the reason its supposed to be played, for the joy of playing music. Roller Coaster of love...

Then they were whisked off stage faster than the folks who came to see them could get in the doors.

Then came twenty minutes of awkward silence, followed shortly thereafter by the most bumbling, stumbling troupe of pretentious coffee-house wannabes assembled upon one stage I've ever witnessed in my entire life.  And it was a train wreck.  Miscue followed miscue, highlighted by a genuine, Nancy Kerrigan moment, when a woman I would have expected better of, given her obvious age, stopped mid-song and whined, "I think my monitor is too loud, can I start over?"

Even if they'd been playing around a bonfire in my backyard, we'd have booed them off the stage.

My wingman looked at me and said, "Taco Bell sounds a lot better than this, let's get out of here." And we did...

I love Louie, I love his shows, and have more often than not enjoyed some surprisingly good music at them.  I'll just think of Friday night's portion of Dayton Does Dayton a sour note in what up until then has always been a fairly solid composition. 

On a positive note, High 5 Riot will be playing Gillys on April 25th and I'm sure they'll be bringing some energy.  See you then?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello fanboys and girls.

Gotta a little love you'd like share? Go right on ahead and feel free to lay it on me. (Even if it's the tough kind.)

Just remember, the only place anonymous comments ever land, is on the cutting room floor...