Thursday, January 21, 2010

Homegrown goodness.

Don't let the name fool you.


Every Wednesday I make the weekly pilgrimage to my local comic book store, Mavericks in Dayton, Ohio to pick up the latest releases of my favorite comic books. One of the many things that keep me returning to this shop is the nice selection of small press comic books they keep on hand. Often times while waiting for the store's shipment of mainstream books to arrive I'll spend some time perusing the small press selection of titles looking for something to catch my eye. That's how I stumbled across my first issue of, Scrap.

From the moment I started reading this book I was immediately drawn in to the world of Scrap. Barely more than a large crater, the skies overhead filled with electrical storms (Believed by some to be portals.) whose appearance always heralds a rain of debris from the sky it is a harsh and hostile environment. The general population is divided into two groups, the Foragers who live within the walls of Centre City and, the Scrappers who live in and search the piles of debris for salvageable materials .

The first story arc revolves around Il'Eigha and the Ceraf who first attacks and then establishes a symbiotic bond with the young girl. Il'Eigha once lived within the relative safety of Centre City until circumstances forced her out into the debris fields to begin a new life as a scrapper. Taking pity upon a child younger than her own tender years she is herself attacked by the same Ceraf, (A creature who feeds upon energy sources to sustain itself.) after it drains the boy of his life energies. The ensuing battle between Il'Eigha and the Ceraf, first for her very life and then for her own individual identity and self awareness is a compelling story.

I'd almost forgotten all about the harsh world of Scrap and the struggle of Il'Eigha to find balance in the symbiotic relationship she now shared with the Ceraf. I 'd never seen another issue on the shelves of Mavericks until this past Wednesday when lo and behold there it was, issue number two. I grabbed the single copy available and joyfully added it to the stack of goodies I' d already gathered and couldn't wait to get it home.

Now, the creative team of Cris Martin/pencils, Cris Hoskins/inks and grays, and Brandon (BJay) Johnson/writer may not be as familiar to you as the creative teams behind such popular titles as, Darkest Night, Siege, Batman or Thor, but their efforts are no less creative or entertaining to read. I have thoroughly enjoyed the first two issues of Scrap and will continue to follow this book as long as they continue to produce it. Everything about this book is good, except for the regularity with which it appears on store shelves, but as good as this title is I can certainly find it in my heart to forgive such a minor flaw.

In an age where the "Big Two" are more often than not the "Big Pee-Yew" and I find myself turning to other sources for comic book pleasure, Scrap is a delightful find. The book is unique and a very refreshing change from the endless monotony of crossover events and "Rainbow Bright" superheroes that seem to dominate the mainstream landscape today. And it is a homegrown product made right here in Dayton, Ohio my very own hometown.

Every week I talk to fellow comic book readers who do nothing but complain about the sorry state of the comic books they're spending their hard earned dollars on. When I ask them why they're still buying the titles I always get the same response, "I've been collecting the book my whole life and I just can't stop picking up issues now!"

That's no reason to buy a book! Look, I've been around long enough to learn that just because you've been doing something stupid, doesn't mean you have to keep on doing it. There are alternatives to the "Big Two" line of comic books. You don't have to keep buying bad books just because you've been doing so for a long time now. You can try something new. I'd suggest, Scrap. It's a smart choice...

1 comment:

Hello fanboys and girls.

Gotta a little love you'd like share? Go right on ahead and feel free to lay it on me. (Even if it's the tough kind.)

Just remember, the only place anonymous comments ever land, is on the cutting room floor...